Monday 18 April 2016

Review: bareMinerals Lash Domination Ink Liner

Hello!

So today I have the joy of bringing you a review of the brand new, not out yet bareMinerals Ink Liner!! This is bareMinerals first liquid eyeliner to hit stores and it's all very exciting! There was a QVC exclusive "smoke and define" liner which I think was liquid but it was never released in stores. Now then, I've not used a liquid eyeliner in years. Gel, yes. Pencil, yes. But liquid? I think the last time I used it was for my birthday night out about 2 years ago... I was a bit wary of having to use one on counter as well as I've not needed to put liquid eye liner on somebody else in about 4 years. Basically, it's been a while since using liquid eyeliner on anyone at all!



The packaging is nice and sleek. As you can see this liner is tied into the Lash Domination range which includes the Lash Domination mascara, and the new Petite Lash Domination mascara (same formula, smaller wand!) I think the thinking behind it is that they are all a bit more dramatic so all go together.


The ingredients list for those who are interested. Having just done a bit of research on some other top selling liquid liners, the bareMinerals ingredients list is much much smaller than others. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, but I'm all for less ingredients near my eyes!


The actual eyeliner. I love this packaging as it's sleek but feels nice to hold as it's not too thick or thin, almost the size of a typical Bic pen. The lid has a spring in it, so when you click it back into place it seems pretty impossible to damage the nib (fingers crossed anyway!) It has a more upmarket feel to it than some of the old bareMinerals packaging. They're really focusing on making the packaging as good as the products now, which is great in my opinion! (Spoiler alert: the new skincare packaging is beautiful!!)


As all of our makeup artists say "shake it to wake it!" Can't say I'm going to be able to say that on counter without feeling like a cheesy fool, but it's true. You have to give this eyeliner a good few shakes to get it working. When you shake it you can hear something inside that is designed to keep the liquid mixed but also to stop it from all coming out the nib at once (hello goth phase eyeliner....!) 




Now the important bit....the nib! It's a very thin tipped nib that can give you a very thin, tight line or you can use it on it's side to give you a thicker line. I'm personally a big fan of pen style liners, but I know this won't be for everyone. It's water resistant, so although it will dry in seconds and stay on all day, it's also very easier to take off. I've tried it over the last 3 days and had zero issues with it smudging or flaking, which I'm very pleased with. I'm a glasses and contact lenses wearer so I have sensitive eyes but I also tend to touch my eyes a lot too and I didn't have an issues with it. It was a bit strange putting liquid liner on for the first time in ages, but it was so easy to do and I didn't feel like I was dragging it across my eyelid either. It was super easy to fix any mistakes too (let's face it, there were always going to be mistakes the first time I used it!!) It has an almost slightly wet look finish I think as well. It doesn't dry down matte but it doesn't stay super shiny either. As I'd been used to pencil liner, I was wary about using it and also how quickly it might transfer onto the top of my eyelid (near the brow bone) I was pleasantly surprised that it was just as easy to use as a pencil and that there was absolutely no transfer at all as it dries almost instantly and stays put. Win, win, win for me! 


Now then, considering I'm terrible at calligraphy, I'm impressed by how easy it was to write my name in a semi-fancy way with this eyeliner! Below my own vanity is a selection of lines for you to see. All were done with the same liner and are to show you how easy it is to vary between a thick and thin line. The third line down was when the liner needed a shake, so it's slightly drier than the others. I will say that if you have any lines on your eyelid you will need to stretch your eye a bit to get a fluid line that doesn't miss the gaps, but I think this is true with all liners really.


The main points that I love about this liner are:

  • Easy to use for beginners and experts alike.
  • Thin and thick lines achievable
  • Dries super quick
  • Stays all day, but easy to remove
  • No transfer
  • Solid black colour
  • Pen is easy to grip
  • Packaging is shiny!Haha!
The main points I don't like about this liner:

  • Only comes in black (at the moment....I guess it could come in more colours in the future)
That's literally it for my cons list for this liner. I've had a bunch of compliments when I've worn this liner and it was incredibly easy to do cat eye flicks, despite thinking I could never do them with my eye shape. I messed up a few times the first time I tried it, but it was very easy to remove and start again without messing up all my eye makeup. All in all, this is an absolute win for me and I now understand people who wear liquid eyeliner every day!!

I was lucky enough to be gifted this by bareMinerals at my latest training session but it is currently available as a duo set on QVC for £27 (with £2.95 postage) and will be available on counters in May for £17 each. 

Until next time,
xoxo

Whilst I may work for bareMinerals, all opinions are my own and I have not been asked to supply this review at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, I love reading them and try to respond to all of them!